Monday, September 29, 2008

Courthouse and Conways



Once again I went to work at the Knox County Courthouse. Leaving ,I took the opportunity took take some "tourist" shots. A couple spent time carefully reading all the inscriptions on some of the monuments. I noticed that the woman left a bouquet at the base of the John Sevier's monument. John Sevier held the office of Govenor of Tennessee six times and had four terms in Congress. Our Conway family was very close to the Seviers, marrying four of his children. Our ancestor, Suzanne Conway eventually DIVORCED her Sevier husband. He had deserted the family, leaving her to raise four children alone. Her divorce was the first one granted in the State of Tennessee....

1 comment:

Eileen said...

Hey Rose, Thank you for the tourist-y look at Knox County. Very interesting and I'm going to come back and read this again sometime. (just in case there's a quiz) Had no idea so much happened in Knoxville area. Interesting stories too - have you considered working as a tour guide?

Two of my favorite 70-something-ers live in Knoxville (oh that's right, you know them) and next time I go through there I'll want to see some of these places. On the other hand, I won't need to because I've already been there thanks to your posts. So then I can spend more time with the JBs. (if they can work me in to their busy schedule) ;)

E