Wednesday, September 12, 2007

"Exceptional Drought Level"


The weather has taken on a persona of it's own. IT It never rains, never. I did an internet search using just the word Drought. NOACC displays various maps, predictions, satellite views and all are so depressing. Guess which state is the "star" of this exceptional drought, okay, you know, it is TENNESSEE. We are now Big Dried Out Country. One report says that we need 18 inches of rin to get back to normal.
You have all seen the weather maps with the little thundercloud predicting a possiblilty of rain. In Ireland the percentages are shown as 70%, 90%, or 50%. Here we get the little cloud with as little as 20%, now think about it, that means there is an 80% of sunshine. It fails to rains so the weather man just moves the emblem a few days further, trying to give a flicker of hope. I think the little tine green blogs that do show up once a week are just showing where the last green grass can be found. Sometimes the weather man will zooom far out just to show us that yes, Virginia, it really still rains somewhere in the country.....like in Texas.
We have only mowed the yard twice this summer. In a good year we have had to mow twice a week. We have picked the shrubs we will try to share and know we will lose the rest. The trees are dropping their leaves, trying to save their roots.
We actually got some rain yesterday. Comments heard, " What is that stuff?" " We used to have stuff like this when we were young, but I can't remember what it is called." "It has been so long since it rained, I didnt know how to open my umbrella" A few days before a man had stopped by the booth and told me he had heard a rumor that it was raining on Merchants Road.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

HHHHIIIIII! I wish I could send some water your way. I'm going to attempt to send you a picture of a rainbow...
this is Stacy.