Tuesday, August 29, 2006

When all else fails, shop

Paul will be working 14 hours today. What is a girl to do? Shop of course. Limerick downtown is very similiar to old downtown Knoxville, except there are customers. School has started and the sidewalks were full of kids , dressed in their uniforms. The dress uniform for girls is a long-sleeve white shirt, tie, sweater with school emblem and ankle length pleated skirts. Seriously. A taxi driver says that their parents dress them like Nuns to keep them chaste. He is not sure it works. There were also small groups of little white hair ladies wobbling like weebles in the middle of the sidewalk. One asked me the time and I told here that in America it was 7pm so it was either noon or 1pm. Then I said, so , neither one of us really knows what time it is....I decided to buy a purse, just to have a goal for this wandering. I set my eye on one that cost 889 Euro....One Euro equals $1.30. It just wasn't the right color. All the stores have security guards, at the doors, walking in the store, just watching. It must be either very safe, or very dangerous in Limerick. There are two feuding familes in town and they like to run in gangs and murder each other. There is to be a trial soon, and one group is said to be planning to burn down the courthouse. They have so much fun fighting each other , they leave everyone else alone. The last group of sidewalk companions would be the lone staggering old man. They have had too much to drink or have very uncomfortable shoes. They walk, very slow, focused straight ahead, marching to an unheard drunk cadance. Left, right, other right, right?, wrong, wait..right.
I had fish and chips at O'Connells, open since 1910, so it is relatively new. The waitress sat with me and pointed out all the good places to shop. All were out of town. I spent my taxi money on a purse and headed to the bus stop to nervously wait for the 308 Bus. The Bus arrived before I did, but was empty. I friended up a University student and she said the driver was on his break. She volunteered to sit with me and show me my stop. But this plan fell through when the driver returned and declared the Bus dead in it's tracks. I hiked to the Tourist Office, dug in my new purse, and gathered enough change to take a Taxi back to the Castle. One nap later, I await the King to return....

1 comment:

gmaburka said...

Sounds like a real adventure!!